Types of dental implant process
In this type of dental implant, a piece with an appropriate length is used. This piece is placed within the jaw bone and a piece of it comes out of the gum. After healing period, crown and abutment is placed on implant and there is no need for secondary surgery.
Also in this method, we can use a 2-piece implant. It means during the first surgery, the implant and the abutment are connected. But great care must be taken for healing because the implant is very vulnerable against the forces that are enter from the inside on it, so some fractures can be occurred.
This method is the most common type of implant. During surgery, the implants are fixed into the bone under the gums. Then to deal with the pressure of the surrounding bones and teeth on implant area or preventing from future problems; the gums are stitched up. After the first stage, enough time is required for healing. Then, in secondary surgery, the surface of the implant should be opened to connect the abutment.
Types of implant in terms of surface shape and body
Most dental implants are made of titanium or titanium alloy, but the materials of their surface are not identical. For having strength, stability, longer life and sufficient strength in dental implants; it is necessary to produce them of higher quality raw material with acceptable durability. Titanium with a flat surface - in comparison with titanium with porous surface - has less contact with the bone.
Dental implants are classified based on implant surface in 4 groups: machine, smooth, covered and textured.
Also they are classified based on implant body shape in 6 groups: integrated, perforated, threaded, hollow, cylindrical and flat.
Types of dental implants in terms of size
Dental implants are classified in several types based on their size and their location in mouth and according to the size and shape of the patient’s mouth and also patient's bone.
- Dental implant with standard platform: this type of implant with the diameter of 3.5 to 4.2mm is usually placed in the front area of patient's mouth.
- Dental implants with wide platform: this type of dental implant with diameter of 4.5 to 6mm is usually placed in rear area of patient’s mouth, it means grinding teeth.
- Mini dental implants: this type of dental implants with diameter of 2 to 3.5mm are used in cases that there is no enough space between the roots of teeth or density of teeth bone is insufficient.
Types of dental implants in terms of connectors
In terms of connectors; such as abutments and restorations should be attached with screws to the head of implant; in here, we are going to introduce 3 types of connectors: external hexagonal, internal hexagonal and internal octagonal.
- External hexagonal connector: this type of connector with a hexagonal shape is placed on the head of implant.
- External hexagonal connector: this type of connector with a hexagonal shape is in the head of implant in shape of a hole, and then, abutment should be screwed on it.
- Internal octagonal connector: this type of connector with an octagonal shape is in the head of implant in shape of a hole, and then, abutment should be screwed on it